Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stiff Lace

I really enjoyed the Stiff Lace show but for this blog I'm going to write about Janissa Hamilton's pieces. I really liked the lightboxes because I felt like they were self-portraits, even though different models were used. The lightboxes looked like windowpanes, so you feel almost like a voyeur looking in at the artist's life. I liked the snapshots that were hanging up everywhere. I feel like the portraits were giving us insight into who the artist is inside while the snapshots were suppsed to represent the artists life, and everything that is a part of their life, including the small, everyday things like a sign, or a car that don't seem important at all. I thought the snapshots hanging everywhere was a cool idea. I like the idea of hanging them everywhere, being surrounded by the artists life. I noticed some of the prints were framed, while others were not. I thought that maybe it was because they were more important than others or they had more significance to the artist. Overall, the print quality of the photos, in the lightboxes, looked really good although you could tell they were digital prints because some of them looked too good while the snapshots were more realistic in showing normal, everyday life.

2 comments:

  1. Editors Note: So, I realized that all of the photo's hanging up on the bottom floor and placed on the tables were actually done by Kevin and were not part of Janissa Hamilton's exhibit. Sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting take on Janissa's work (excluding Kevin's) I find it interesting that perhapse in an enviroment such as Rumors, we can come to an almost intimate feeling with the artist. Do you think that if these works were presented in a typical fashion in a real gallery that this could also be achieved? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete