Sunday, February 15, 2009

First Fridays 2/6/09

I hadn't been to First Fridays in a long time, so I was excited to go to this one. I had read up on some of the galleries and shows beforehand and there were a few places I really wanted to check out. One of my favorite galleries of the night was ADA gallery. I almost always end up liking whatever is shown there. That night there were some drawings on display, my favorites were the drawings by Rob Lee. I just love his style. His style of drawing is how I want mine to be, if I could draw better. I really can't draw at all, so I try to avoid it at all costs. His drawings were pretty funny, they involved people and random creatures. I really liked this one drawing, there were headless people and weird animals and the clouds looked like they were melting. It was mostly done with red ink and pencil, which I think is what drew my eye to it in the first place. After the first look though, I kept staring just because I was trying to figure out what was going on. 

Another really good exhibit from the night, another one of my favorites, was the show at Gallery 5. It was put on by the YWCA. They were showing art that had been done by victims of domestic/sexual abuse. Next to each piece, there was a short description of what the artist was feeling when they did the piece, how old they were when they were abused, and how old they were when they did the piece. Overall, it was a very moving show. It was hard to read some of the personal stories but it was very uplifting to see how strong some of these women were in the face of adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment