Sunday, February 15, 2009

Artist Lecture-Paul Shambroom

First of all, I thought this artist lecture was much much better then the last one. I really liked the ideas behind Paul Shambroom's work. My favorite series was the "Meetings" series. I like that he visited small towns and observed the goings on in their town meetings. I think that is much more interesting than what he was talking about before with the big, corporate meetings. I love photographs of small towns, in places I've never heard of. It makes me want to travel all over, so I can see these places I've never heard of and experience them for myself. I know he didn't pose any of the people in his photographs and I really like that. I like how into it all of these people are getting, for what might be something small and unimportant. I think you could take his work in a more ironic tone, one that would belittle the people in the photographs but he doesn't think that way. 

I also liked his series with the army weapons that are displayed in public places. That really reminded me of home because I grew up in a town with a HUGE army base and I always saw stuff like that growing up. It's funny because I never thought of how weird that is until I saw his photographs and I thought, "hmm...what is the point of displaying that?"I think it's really cool, what he does, because he gets to travel to places all over the country, taking pictures that showcase these huge objects on display that most people don't think about at all. It's just part of the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment