Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Maggie

I was able to make it to the Emmet and Elijah Gowin show the day it was ending. I'm glad I did because it was awesome. The whole set-up was really simple and plain. The walls were plain white and the frames were minimal. The photographs were spread out one after the other on the walls. Besides the fact that the photos were printed really well and were really beautiful to look at, there was also a good story behind them. You can tell that the artists are truly obsessed with this woman and everything about her. The photos of her are almost reverent sometimes. I really liked the photos that looked like they had been set up. The candid ones were good too but I preferred the tableaus. There was one in particular that I really enjoyed. Maggie is standing in front of a shed and it looks like she is holding this flock of birds by strings. There's another one where she's standing in front of a shed and she has paper moons strung up on a line. I really like these because they look surreal and from another world. I enjoyed the more realistic prints too, I think because they reminded me of my own family. I liked the closeness of them and the fact that the photographers were so comfortable with their subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment